Ella is OCHIN's new Learning Management System (LMS), where you can find application documentation, course materials, and other interactive resources to connect with the OCHIN Collaborative.
Ella contains four types of resources:
- Libraries are repositories of end user documentation, including step-by-step user guides, demonstration videos, interactive e-learning videos, workflow diagrams, and more.
- Discussion Forums are message boards where users can interact, ask questions, and share information with other OCHIN Collaborative members.
- Events are scheduled, one-time training events provided by OCHIN. Events are open and available to the OCHIN Collaborative, but you must register to attend.
- Online Courses are collections of exercise and competencies to support defined learning objectives. A learner's progress in the course is monitored. Online course functionality is coming to Ella later in 2018.
Ella's documentation libraries, discussion forums, and events are designed for the complimentary use and support of OCHIN's members; Ella's online courses are part of OCHIN's Products and Services offerings that are made available via SOW.
The navigation drawer (on the left side of the window) provides links to the main areas of Ella. Click the icon in the blue title bar to open or close the navigation drawer.
The navigation drawer includes the following links:
- Home links to Ella's home page
- Dashboard links to your personal Dashboard, which provides an overview of the courses you have access to
- Calendar links to your personal calendar in Ella
- Course Catalog links to a list of all materials on Ella – including resources and online courses
- Epic Library links to a library of Epic end user documentation, available for OCHIN Epic members only
- NextGen Library links to a library of NextGen end user documentation, available for OCHIN NextGen members only
- Acuere Library links to a library of Acuere end user documentation, available for all OCHIN members
- EHR Agnostic Library links to a library of documentation for non-OCHIN Epic or OCHIN NextGen members
- OCHIN Staff Library links to a library of documentation available only to OCHIN staff members
- Discussion Forums links to forums to connect with other OCHIN collaborative members
As you access different areas in Ella, more options will be added to the top of the navigation drawer. For example, when viewing the Epic Site Specialist Discussion Forum, a user will see a link to view a list of the available Epic Discussion Forums:
No, the left navigation drawer cannot be changed by users.
The My Enrolled Courses block (which appears on Ella’s front page) shows all the areas of Ella your user account can currently access. For convenience, resources (such as libraries and discussion forums) appear with any online courses your account is enrolled in.
Yes. You can hide items that appear on the My Enrolled Courses block (for example, if you wish to remove libraries and discussion forums from the list so it reflects only online courses you are enrolled in). You cannot reorder items in this list.
To configure this list, click the Show/Hide courses hyperlink:
The left column shows the list of courses that will display on Ella’s front page. The right column displays any areas of Ella you can access, but are hidden from the list on Ella’s front page.
The Dashboard is designed to provide an at-a-glance look at the courses and resources you have access to in Ella.
The Calendar displays four types of events:
- Global events (highlighted in green) are one-time training events provided by OCHIN to the whole collaborative, typically facilitated through WebEx. You must register to attend global events. Follow the instructions in the event to register. (Your calendar displays all global events that are available, regardless if you have registered. To hide global events, click the Hide global events hyperlink on the right sidebar.)
- Course events (highlighted in orange) are training events specific to your organization's hosted EHR platform (Epic or NextGen). You must register to attend course events. Follow the instructions in the event to register. (Your calendar displays all course events that are available, regardless if you have registered. To hide course events, click the Hide course events hyperlink on the right sidebar.)
- Group events (highlighted in yellow) are used with online courses offered through Ella.
- User events (highlighted in blue) are personal events you can add to your own calendar. User events are only available to your login.
For example, in the image below Acuere Foundations (WebEx) is a global event:
To see details, click the hyperlinked title. A view of events on that day displays, with the event details and link to register:
The Course Catalog lists all online courses and other resources available in Ella. Resource and course availability is subject to an organization's OCHIN contract.
The Course Catalog is organized into the following categories:
- Resources contains materials designed for the complimentary use and support of OCHIN's members, such as libraries and discussion forums
- Online Courses contains courses that are part of OCHIN's Products and Services offerings, and are made available via SOW (Note: online course functionality will be coming to Ella later in 2018)
- OCHIN Research/QI Projects contains materials available to participants in an OCHIN Research/QI project
- Miscellaneous contains other materials used by OCHIN
To view offerings in a category, click the category heading.
The size of Ella's main content area is dependent on the size of the browser window. If the window is too small, it may look like you need to scroll right to see all the content:
To see more content, try maximizing your browser window or close the left navigation drawer (click the icon in the blue title bar).
OCHIN recommends using the most recent version of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best Ella experience. Ella may operate on other browsers, but some features (such as video playback) may be impacted.
If you are experiencing trouble with Ella in your browser, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Enable cookies.
- Clear your browser's cache
- Try viewing Ella in a different browser or computer to help discern whether the issue is a problem with your browser or computer
If issues persist, contact your organization's technical support or IT department, or submit a JIRA ticket (Project Type: Learning Management System / ELLA) for additional assistance.
If you encounter a problem with Ella, please enter a JIRA ticket for assistance from OCHIN (Project Type: Learning Management System / ELLA). Please include your username, the area of Ella where you encountered the issue, and a description of the issue. We will be in contact as soon as possible to help resolve the issue.
End user documentation (including step-by-step user guides, demonstration videos, interactive e-learning videos, workflow diagrams, and more) is available in a library.
Library access is controlled by your user account setup, and is subject to your organization's OCHIN contract. Users will only have access to the libraries and discussion forums supporting their organization's hosted EHR. (For example, if a user is part of an OCHIN NextGen organization, they will not have access to the Epic Library, but will have access to the NextGen Library and Acuere Library.)
If you are unable to access a library you think you should be able to, submit a JIRA (Project Type: Learning Management System / ELLA) for assistance.
If you are looking for specific, searching the library by keyword is the best place to start. (This search is limited to articles in the library – it will not search all of Ella.)
From within the library:
1. In the search field, type a word or phrase.
2. By default, a library search will query the entire contents of each library page. If you would like to search only document titles, uncheck the Search full text option.
3. Click the Search button, or hit Enter on your keyboard.
Search results display in alphabetical order:
Collections are groups of library pages. OCHIN curates Collections to provide an indexed list of library entries about a particular topic, presented in a specific order. A list of collections appears in the right sidebar of the library. To view a Collection, click the section heading.
To print a paper copy of a guide, use your browser's print functionality. Click File and select Print from the submenu, or type Ctrl and P on your keyboard.
It may be necessary to edit OCHIN's user guides to provide organization-specific information. There are multiple ways to download an editable version of a user guide:
1. "Print" the user guide to PDF, using your browser's print functionality (type Ctrl and P on your keyboard, then select Save as PDF). When saving a PDF document in this way, you may need to retitle the file to the name of the user guide. Once the file is saved, use a program like Adobe Acrobat Pro to convert the PDF file into an editable Word version.
2. Use your browser's Save functionality (click File and select Save from the submenu, or type Ctrl and S on your keyboard). The page will save as an HTML file and a folder of images. Open the HTML file in Word to edit.
3. Submit a JIRA ticket (Project Type: Learning Management System) to request an editable Word version of the document.
Library videos are embedded on the page in either MP4 or HTML5 format (depending on the type of video). If a video does not play, ensure your browser has the appropriate plug-ins installed, or contact your organization's technical support for additional assistance.
Depending on your monitor and browser size, the video may be appear cut off on the right side. To provide more space for the video, maximize your browser window and closing Ella's collapsible navigation drawer (click the icon).
Currently Ella's libraries do not have the capability to for members to report on their staff's activity. This functionality is on a list of future enhancements for inclusion in Ella.
OCHIN uses informative text boxes to draw attention to important information or provide links to related material. Call-out boxes include:
indicates critical information, including information that may impact patient safety, HIPAA, or PHI-related concerns.
indicates functionality is restricted by user security.
indicates an efficiency tip, including "beyond the basics" information for advanced users.
indicates a reference to a different document.
indicates a reference to a related workflow.
1. I will never, under any circumstances, share Protected Health Information (PHI) or any other confidential or copyrighted information in the OCHIN Discussion Forums. I understand that the following data elements, when used in a way that could identify any specific patient(s), are considered PHI:
- Postal address information other than town or city, state, and zip code
- Telephone numbers
- Fax numbers
- Electronic mail addresses
- Social security numbers
- Medical record numbers
- Health plan beneficiary numbers
- Account numbers
- Certificate/license numbers
- Vehicle identifiers and serial numbers, including license plate numbers
- Device identifiers and serial numbers
- Web Universal Resource Locators (URLs)
- Internet Protocol (IP) address numbers
- Biometric identifiers, including finger and voice prints
- Full face photographic images and any comparable images
2. I will be respectful and considerate to other users. I understand that personal attacks, spam, non-substantive posts, or any other material deemed incorrect or inappropriate at the Forum Moderator's sole discretion may be redacted or deleted at any time.
3. I understand that the comments and attachments I post to this Discussion Forum will become part of a permanent community library that supplements the end user documentation available in Ella's libraries. I certify that I hold the legal rights to share any words, images, or attachments I post and I release any claims of ownership or copyright over said material. By posting material to this Forum, I understand that I am giving other users permission to reuse said material freely.
Discussion forum access is controlled by your user account setup, and is subject to your organization's OCHIN contract. Users will only have access to the discussion forums supporting their organization's hosted EHR. (For example, if a user is part of an OCHIN NextGen organization, they will not have access to Epic discussion forums, but will have access to the NextGen-related forums.)
If you are unable to access a discussion forum you think you should be able to, submit a JIRA (Project Type: Learning Management System / ELLA) for assistance.
Before posting, it may be useful to search a discussion forum to see if a discussion has already been started about that topic. (This search is limited to posts in the OCHIN Discussion Forums – it will not search all of Ella.)
From within a discussion forum:
1. In the search field, type a word or phrase.
2. Click the Search button, or hit Enter on your keyboard.
Search results display, with the keywords entered highlighted in blue:
To contribute to a discussion:
1. Click the Reply hyperlink of the post you wish to reply to.
2. In the Message field, type your reply.
3. If you wish to attach additional files to your post, drag and drop them into the Attachment field. (Up to 9 attachments may be included with one post.)
4. Click the Post to forum button.
OCHIN Discussion Forums display “nested” posts, where replies appear under the original post:
From within a discussion forum:
1. Click the Add a new discussion topic button.
2. The New Discussion Topic page loads. Enter a Subject of your discussion forum post.
3. In the Message field, type the body of your post.
4. If you wish to attach additional files to your post, drag and drop them into the Attachment field. (Up to 9 attachments may be included with one post.)
5. Click the Post to forum button.
After you post a topic or reply, you have 30 minutes to edit or delete your post before it is locked for editing.
A permalink is a direct link to a discussion forum post, allowing users to easily share that one post (within a discussion thread) it with others.
Yes! To help stay up-to-date on forum activity, users may subscribe to a discussion forum (or individual posts in that forum) and receive an email notification when posts or threads are made. Forum and post subscription is opt-in. Users must choose to subscribe to each discussion forum individually to receive a daily email of forum activity.
If a user subscribes to a forum, they will receive a notification of every post in that forum. From within a discussion forum, click the icon and select Subscribe to this forum.
If a user subscribes to a thread, they will receive a notification of every reply made to that thread. A user is automatically subscribed to threads they create or reply to. To choose not to subscribe to a thread, deselect the Discussion subscription option:
In addition, users may choose to subscribe to threads they have not commented on if they wish to receive updates as others reply. From within a discussion forum, click the icon. (An icon indicates you are subscribed to the post.)
The thread subscription option is also available from within a thread:
By default, users will receive a daily digest email with a list of posts in the forums they are subscribed to. To change your forum notification preferences:
1. Click your username in the top left corner of the header, and select Profile from the submenu.
2. Click the and select Forum preferences.
3. In the Email digest type, select the type of daily email digest you would like to receive:
- Select No digest to receive an email for every post (including new threads and replies)
- Select Complete to receive one daily email displaying the full text of new posts in the threads and forums you are subscribed to
- Select Subjects to receive one daily email listing the subject (thread title) of new posts in the threads and forums you are subscribed to
4. In the Forum auto-subscribe, select if you would like to automatically subscribe you to threads when you add a post.
5. In the Forum tracking field, select if you would like Ella to highlight unread posts in the discussion forums.
6. The When sending forum post notifications field determines if Ella should mark posts as read when they are included in a digest email. (You must enable forum tracking to select this option.)
The screenshot below is OCHIN's recommended forum preferences: